Hotel Rössli

History

A look at the history of Hotel Rössli

Today’s Hotel Rössli is owned by the Admirat family. Jean-Louis & Hanny Admirat-Seiler bought the then hotel restaurant in the old quarter of Unterseen in 1979.
Documentation only reaches back to 1872, as the locale – at that time called Herberge zum Sternen – was destroyed by fire and earlier papers on the building were lost to the flames. However, it can be assumed that the foundations of the building date back several centuries.
Today’s Rössli has had a variety of uses. One was as a shelter for poor people and families fallen on hard times in the last century. The costs were shared by the municipalities involved. A storage barn, workshop, pig sty and bakery also existed in and around the earlier building.

The Hotel Rössli changed hands several times during the 20th century, but now for the first time in its history, it has been taken over by a second generation.

Interesting historic data:

1825Construction of the Lake Thun road, Spiez – Leissigen – Unterseen on southern lakeshore
1833Founding of today’s municipality of Unterseen
1835First steamship services on Lake Thun
1843First steamship services on Lake Brienz
1844Unterseen church converted into hall church with church organ
1855Unterseen town gate near the hotel demolished
1882Construction of Lake Thun road, Neuhaus – Merligen on northern lakeshore
1892Construction of Lake Thun – Interlaken West shipping canal, cutting off direct access to Unterseen from Spiez
1893Construction of Bahnhofstrasse Unterseen
1893Opening of Schynige Platte Railway
1908Opening of Harder Railway
1912Opening of Jungfrau Railway (Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch)
1967Opening of Schilthorn aerial cableway (Mürren to Schilthorn)